Hospital Negligence: Third Degree Burns In The Emergency Room
Our client had been taken to a hospital emergency room for a voluntary admission due to chronic alcoholism. While still in the emergency room, and under the influence of alcohol, he sustained third degree burns on his chest. The hospital personnel failed to take away his cigarette lighter, and he caught fire while trying to light a cigarette while in a restraining device. The claim asserted poor supervision of this client, who was clearly incapable of making proper, decisions for his own safety. A confidential settlement of the claim was achieved before the filing of a lawsuit.