The summer holidays are upon us, bringing with the break in work schedules and school time for more pool parties, backyard barbecues, concerts, events and festivities. At Brotman, Nusbaum, and Ibrahim (BNI), we have noticed a spike in drunk driving accidents in Boca Raton almost every summer season. At Brotman, Nusbaum, and Ibrahim, we have seen the devastation caused by unnecessary drunk driving car accidents and as a well-established personal injury law firm in Boca Raton, Florida, we are ready to work tirelessly in an effort to see that you are well compensated for any personal injuries caused by a drunk driving accident.
Florida, like all other states, considers a driver with a blood alcohol level of 0.08 or above to be legally impaired, and therefore driving drunk. It’s not really rocket science to observe that whenever traffic volume goes up, crashes and accidents generally go up as well. Less people at work or in classes means more cars on the road, more cars doing road trip and summer travel. Summer should be a time of heightened awareness about the dangers and repercussions of drunk driving accidents.
Brotman, Nusbaum, and Ibrahim: Drunk Driving Accident Attorneys in Boca Raton
Summer may be our nation’s favorite holiday season, but it might be the deadliest, too. Although the number of drunk driving fatalities in Boca Raton has decreased, there are way too many injuries as the outcome of drunk driving accidents in Boca Raton. According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV), there were approximately 5,125 alcohol-involved car crashes in Florida in 2017. Of those, there were 350 fatalities (which is lower compared to the 417 drunk driving fatalities back in 2016).
Unfortunately, drunk driving accidents are still the top cause of fatal traffic accidents in South Florida. Millions of Americans are getting ready to make their way all across the U.S. for major concert events, heading to beach towns and mountains, or time with family. And statistically they are not taking public transportation – they are driving. There is always an increase in the number of DUI arrests in Boca Raton during the summer holiday season because of the increase in parties and drinking – as well as more law enforcement officers stepping up their DUI enforcement efforts.
In the state of Florida, law enforcement agencies increase their DUI saturation patrols and checkpoints, knowing there are likely more people on the highways after potentially having one too many drinks at a celebration or get-together. As people are driving to family or vacation spots, oftentimes in a rush and stressed out, many will be navigating unfamiliar roads; they will be driving distractedly; they will be driving late at night, when they’re more susceptible to drowsiness, or on riskier two-lane roads. Shockingly, many will get behind the wheel after having too much to drink.
In many of the drunk driving accident cases that we have handled at Brotman, Nusbaum, and Ibrahim (BNI), we realize that simple safety precautions would’ve saved lives and devastating accidents. According to NHTSA, at least 40% of passengers killed during the summer holidays are involved in crashes with drunk drivers, and about 60% of those passengers injured weren’t wearing their safety belts. Here are a few important tips and reminders from our accident attorneys at Brotman, Nusbaum, and Ibrahim (BNI), to help keep you safe:
- For starters, make sure that your vehicle is in good working order, with a full tank of gas, check tire air pressure, make sure windshield fluid is full Clean your headlights, taillights, signal lights, and windows.
- Plan your travel and routes in advance by checking the weather, road conditions, and traffic.
- Make sure that you’re properly insured.
- Slow down: observe speed limits.
- Buckle up.
- Be well rested, stay alert, and avoid distractions such as cell phones…and screaming children.
- If car trouble develops, pull as far off the road as possible, stop your car then call f0r help.
- This should go without saying, but it’s never okay to drive drunk. Period.
- If you have a health issue or are over 40, pack your pills if your are traveling.
- At parties, concerts, or events, make sure to extra hydrate, stay away from excessive salt. And stay away from alcohol hours before driving.
- Use one of the ride share apps that are so readily available almost anywhere these days. The increasing popularity of the ridesharing companies coincides with the drop in DUI arrests.
- Don’t let young drivers take your car to parties. Encourage younger people in Florida areas like Boca Raton to use public transportation or Uber and Lyft to get around, especially at night.
Call the Best Drunk Driving Accident Attorneys in Boca Raton
No matter how careful you are, accidents and these days especially, drunk driving accidents can and will happen. Brotman, Nusbaum, and Ibrahim (BNI) accident attorneys are committed to defending the rights of drunk driving accident victims and their families. If you or a loved one have been injured in a fender bender, T-bone collision, head-on crash, or any other type of car accident, you may need help with recovering damages.
Our principals and staff include a powerful combination of skilled general personal injury lawyers, medical malpractice attorneys, and product liability attorneys. Our firm has proven results for handling negligence lawsuit claims for people in South Florida, recovering the damages they deserve. We have accumulated an impressive track record, which we believe helps justify being entrusted with your case. At Brotman, Nusbaum, and Ibrahim, we care very much about your safety and wellbeing. We want to wish all of you a very happy and safe summer holiday season.